Thursday, September 13, 2007

Learning to embrace being a geekette

Julie is proud to be a geekette – and I am too. Its funny how many times I get an email from the website with the greeting “Dear Sir” (as if a woman wouldn’t be obsessed with Win32 and the CLR.) While I am learning to embrace geekette-osity, you won’t see me rushing out to change the color scheme to pink, because while I am a “chick”, that’s not what I’m about. I just happen to be a girl, deal with it.

I would love to work in an industry where we don’t feel like we have to make a fuss anymore, but I can see that given how many fellow female developers I’ve run into it’s still an issue. I definitely noticed a trend back in college that the more hard core an engineering class, fewer women could be found. That turned out alright for me, because the professors then started remembering my name.

If you’re a hard-core-geek-chick like myself, here are a few interesting reads: “Who Moved My Cheese”, “The No-Asshole Rule” and “Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? You regurgitated the pill and moved to Australia? Rock on! I had no clue. I can add you back into my feeds now and keep up with what you are doing a little better.

Thank goodness for trackbacks!
I've been dreaming about going to Australia for 30 years. Now I have one more reason to go!

Julie